Tuesday, March 31, 2009

El Rastro


A couple weeks ago, Ashley and I ventured to Madrid on Sunday morning to brave El Rastro. El Rastro is a giant market in the streets of Madrid, selling everything from scarves to tools to bird cages. It is held every Sunday from nine in the morning to three in the afternoon and can have up to 3,500 stalls. I knew it was a giant market, but I had no idea how packed the streets would be with people. Ashley and I had to shove between walls of people to even look at most of the stands. Many of the people running the stalls were screaming their prices to everyone to attract customers. I bought way more than I should have, but everything was SO cheap that I couldn't help it. Throughout the market, there are several streets with their own specialties. There is a street of parrots, covered with animal shops and every type of bird cage you can think of. There is also a street of painters selling all types of paintings and picture frames. I am planning on returning before I leave the country to buy even more incredibly cheap souvenirs for myself and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment