Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Segovia's Cathedral


Last week, I finally entered Segovia's giant cathedral with Elena, my art and architecture professor. On the outside of the cathedral over the doorway is a statue of Saint Frutus, one of the patrons of Segovia. He is holding an open book in his hand with a page flipping. In culture, we learned that as you walk past the Saint, it looks like the page is turning by itself. The cathedral itself is the last Gothic cathedral built in Spain. The construction began under Carlos V and took over 200 years to complete. The cathedral is know as "la dama de las catedrales" because of it's elegant interior and exterior. The cathedral was designed by Juan Gil de Hontañón, a famous Spanish architect who also built the cathedral of Salamanca. You can find his tomb inside. Also inside there are around twenty small chapels and a museum of religious art. I thought the cathedral was very small in comparison to some I had seen, but still impressive. Some of the walls of the chapels were painted with intricate designs, almost like wall paper. Inside, I was also to see a detailed sculpture of Jesus that is brought outside during Samana Santa. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see it because I will be in Italy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie. I found your posting as I was researching a particular religious painting I saw at the Segovia Cathedral. It is a large painting of a tree. On the top of the tree people are baqueting. Beneath the tree is being chopped down... do you remember seeing this painting... and if you do, do you remember who the painting was done by?

    Laura Smith
    Gabbi1cat@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete