Thursday, February 26, 2009

Alhambra


This is just one of the hundreds of pictures I took of one of the most beautiful places I have ever been: The Alhambra in Granada. The whole palace is completely covered in intricate carvings. I learned in the Alhambra museum that the fort was first constructed for military reasons. In the thirteenth century, it became the residence of Moorish royalty. The Nasrid Palaces were the most impressive part of the Alhambra. There were rooms covered in crazy patterns on the ceiling and walls. Some rooms would open up into beautiful gardens with either a fountain or reflection pool. Others would lead into more rooms of intricate carvings. Many of the windows in each room had a stunning view of the city. The gardens outside of the palace were amazing as well. I cannot imagine what they would look like in full bloom. I loved the Generlife as well where the kings would retreat to relax. It was a pretty white house surrounded by gardens of shrubs, fountains, and rose bushes. It had an amazing view overlooking the city as well. I hope to return in the summer to see it in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment