Monday, February 16, 2009

Pork Country


So because I was walking and taking pictures at the same time, this picture came out a little blurry, but I love how this sign reflects the glory of the pig in Spain. I feel like I have had almost every type of pork possible here: ribs, loin, and even the blood (sausage=horrible). Fortunately, I have not had the opportunity to savor any pig ears yet, but my Senora has promised me the opportunity to try very soon. When I came to Spain, I knew that pork was very popular here, but I had no idea that almost seven meals a week would include some pork product. My Senora actually has a smoked pork leg hanging in the kitchen. In America, this would be considered extremely weird and disgusting, but here it is as common as having a bowl of fruit in the kitchen. Another extremely strange tradition that I may avoid during my first trip here is suckling pig. A whole baby pig is cooked and brought out to the table, head and all. I'm sure it is very good, but I have to get over the fact that the pig is only a baby and I have to see it's head before I eat it first...

No comments:

Post a Comment