Friday, February 27, 2009

This is a picture of my first Flamenco show in a small restaurant called “ “ in Granada. From the beginning of our trip to Andalucia, I was determined to find a Flamenco show. This little restaurant is where I fell in love with Flamenco. When we arrived, I really didn't know what to expect. The performance area was created by the u-shape formation of the tables and was very small. At first, I couldn't fathom how the dancer would be able to perform in such a small space , but when the show began, the lack of space didn't matter anymore. The show began with only music created by only singing, clapping, and guitar. After the first song, she began to dance. Prior to the show I knew that Flamenco was a dance created by gypsy's, but I had no idea how passionate the dance actually is. As she danced, she would look around the room at each person and stare you down. Her impassioned glare would burn in your eyes. After the show, I was eager to find out more about the dance. I learned that Flamenco is thought to be evolved from many sources including Morocco, Greece, Egypt, Pakistan, and India. Later, Jewish and Arab elements were added to the music. I also found out that most Flamenco songs express pain and the voice of the singer always closely interacts with the improvised guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment