Monday, February 16, 2009

Old With New

One of the things that I have absolutely loved about Segovia so far is the mix between old and new throughout the city. In this picture of a side street, you can see on the left a building that might be in need of a little refurbishing. The building on the left looks much newer like it has recently been refurbished. Throughout the city, ancient churches are next door to rebuilt streets and buildings. In Humanities, we discussed the various images of the city, from the image of a human body to a machine. The one that I can most relate to the cities that I've seen so far is the idea of a Palimpsest. The city is like a parchment, constantly being re-written with the construction of new buildings and the reconstruction of old buildings. When walking down the street, you can always spot a place where new plaster on a building wall is cracking and revealing the old stone underneath. I love how this gives the city some much character. This city as a history going far beyond that of any city I can think of in the United States. Before coming here, I could never fathom a city having as deep a history as one like Segovia.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of the city as a Palimpsest too. Layers of history, one piled on top of another, decorate the city.

    ReplyDelete